Conceived and maintained by Zeetech Computers, BHEL Township, Trichy - 14.
Queries and suggestions mail to The Secretary, Arivalayam - firstname.lastname@example.org
Vocational Training Center:
Children above 15 years of age are absorbed in VTC wherein they are imparted job oriented training.
The projects covered under VTC, are meant for adolescents /adults with special abilities and are expected to achieve the objective, of moving the special children towards economic independence. While selecting the trades and beneficiaries, care is taken to access the potential viability of marketing the skills acquired thus.
So far 45 students have been rehabilitated from the school and they are placed in vehicle service stations, automobile service centers, workshops, schools etc. They have landed up as helpers in small scale industries, school attendants, packers etc. The performance of the most of these students have been highly appreciated by their employers.
(VOCATIONAL EDUCATION MOVEMENT)
Vocational rehabilitation program is totally dependent on the existence of effective vocational education program.
1865 – 1890 – Vocational education included in the curriculum
1881 – Industrial training started New jersey passed as the act for the establishment of industrial Training school
1885 – Two Private industrial schools started – one in Newyork city and in Boston manual training school
During World war -1 vocational, training / rehabilitation for the disabled was given importance.
Vocational rehabilitation means that part of the continuous and co-ordinated process of rehabilitation which involves
• Vocational training and
• Selecting placement
It is designed to enable a disabled person to secure and retain suitable emplo
- To evaluate the disabled persons to unfold their full potentials.
- To ascertain the medical, psychosocial and vocational needs of the persons with disabilities for mainstreaming them into the community successfully
- To assist the disabled to develop rehabilitation plans depending on their specific needs and to assist on through government and non Government Organisations for rehabilitation services.
- To demonstrates the abilities of the disabled successfully on competitive vocations Utilizing their residual functional abilities.
- To provide guidance and counseling services for training, job, and self employment.
- Selective placement of the disabled suited to their residual capacities.
- Identification of jobs suited to the disabled.
- To organize, seminars and workshops for orientation and training for Rehabilitation professionals
- To Provide career and vocational guidance to the disabled.
General Vocational Training :
One year general vocational training is being given to persons with mild mental retardation in basic skills like,
(a) cutting, folding, pasting.
(b) Sorting & Packing
(c) Picking, Cleaning, Weighing & Packing
(d) Brooming, Dusting, Mopping & Cleaning
Guidance by the teacher / parent at post school stage :
Training for work Readiness :
Focus on Areas such as
- The ability to communicate .
- To be Punctual.
- To attend regularly a learning / work situation.
- To maintain tidiness at work
- To receive and Carryout Instructions
- To be cooperative and to perform in a group
- To concentrate on work for long durations in a specific area
- To respond to reinforcement
- To realise benefits accured from monetary gains
WORK RELATED SKILLS
1. Realizes that he can earn
2. Reaches in time to attend work.
3. Calculates the money upto 10 Rupees.
4. Uses pocket money for personal needs.
5. Awareness of banking services.
6. Road safety
7. Behaves properly in public places.
8. Reads own address.
9. Writes own address
10. Writes Letters to Parents / Friends.
Work skills necessary for vocational placement
- Relationship with peers
- Relationship with Staff management of stress on different tasks
- Physical ability to do the tasks
- Acquisition of training
- Ability to follow instructions
- Ability to communicate
- Ability to withstand fatigue)
Arivalayam is a leader in providing vocational training to the mentally challenged children. Students are imparted vocational training in
1. Preparation of garlands, envelopes
2. Making of tube end-caps
3. Preparation of Greeting Cards, Desktop Calendars
4. The making of Phenol, Pickles and Appalam
6. Cleaning of Telephone sets
7. Recaning of chairs
8. Making of Paper cups, Paper bags
9. Office Files, luggage labels
The students are offered time for learning life skills through extra and co- curricular activities. The most credible entrant is the VTC which plays a crucial role in moulding the students for job oriented training. VTC is presently headed by vice principal of Arivalayam and is supported by 6 special educators for 6 different sections. Here the students learn the art of making Garlands, Pickles, Petticoats, Greeting Cards, Tailoring, Desk Top Calendars and other miscellaneous items. While engaging the deserving candidates, according to their ability they are also also placed under the stipend scheme of Arivalayam.